The WFA staff is located in Westminster, Colorado and Gillette, Wyoming. Having WFA’s presence in Gillette, in the heart of the southern PRB, provides readily available “eyes and ears” on behalf of the members to facilitate coal shipment coordination and face to face contact with mining and railroad personnel in the Gillette area. Addtionally, WFA provides the following services:
- Geologic investigation (drilling, mapping and reserve assessment)
- Land acquisition (leasing or purchasing from private parties; leasing of federal land)
- Permitting (liaison with federal, state and local government agencies)
- Mine engineering services (mine planning, mining cost estimates, feasibility studies, reserve verification)
- Cost estimates for railroad buildout
- Site evaluation and location for new generation facilities
When requested by WFA’s Members, WFA also provides contact with local, state and federal governments, as well as dealing with the STB (Surface Transportation Board). If requested, legal services are also available through WFA’s Corporate Counsel.